Additions and alterations to Prestwick Free Church

M058 Additions and alterations to Prestwick Free Church

Address: 10, Monkton Road, Prestwick KA9 1AR
Date: 1891–2; 1895–6
Client: Prestwick Free Church
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of W. elevation

John Honeyman & Keppie designed a bell tower on the W. (front) elevation and small extension at the E. (rear) of this 1874 church by James Salmon & Son. 1 They also carried out interior alterations and decoration. The tower is crowned by a corbelled balustrade with corner coronets, and has a relief carving of the burning bush – motif of the Free Church – on its W. elevation. Tenders were originally submitted in early 1892 but work did not proceed until 1895.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case. Given John Keppie's personal connections with Prestwick, it seems likely that he was responsible for the work.

Alternative names: Prestwick North Church, Monkton and Prestwick North Parish Church.

Cost from office job book: £1034 9s 9d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Monkton and Prestwick North Parish Church

Current use: Church (2014)

RCAHMS Site Number: NS32NE 84

Headline Dates: NS 35302 26295

Notes:

1: 'James Salmon & Son', Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1840–1980, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 29 August 2012]; Rob Close, Ayrshire & Arran: An Illustrated Architectural Guide, Edinburgh: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland, 1992, p. 36.