Hall at St David's Church, Kirkintilloch

M117 Hall at St David's Church, Kirkintilloch

Address: Ledgate, Kirkintilloch G66 1QD
Date: 1895–6
Client: St David's Church
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of porch door

John Honeyman & Keppie added a one-storey yellow sandstone hall with pitched roof to the N. of the church. The very plain E. and W. elevations of the hall are relieved only by shallow buttress-like features. A gabled porch on the W. elevation has a pointed-arch doorway with three small lancet windows above and a Celtic cross at the gable apex.

Authorship: The only evidence linking Mackintosh to this project are two tracings of original drawings showing an elevation of the porch and a section of the hall made in the 1930s by Ronald Harrison, an early student of Mackintosh's architecture. He had access to the office records and may have believed that Mackintosh made these drawings, or that he contributed to the design of the building in some way, but no evidence has come to light to support this attribution. 1

Alternative names: St David's and St Andrew's Church.

Cost from office job book: £958 1s 1d

Status: Standing building, altered

Current name: The Indian Cottage

Current use: Restaurant (2014)

RCAHMS Site Number: NS67SE 109.01

Grid Reference: NS 6555 7430

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.942880, lng = -4.154287   (Map)

Notes:

1: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: GLAHA 52334 (M117-001), elevation of porch; GLAHA 52338 (M117-002).