Queens Park West United Free Church

M220 Queens Park West United Free Church

Address: 170, Queen's Drive, Glasgow G42 8QZ
Date: 1903
Client: Queens Park West United Free Church
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh made unspecified modest alterations to the church involving joiner, plumber and painter work. At the time the work was carried out, there were two United Free churches in Queen's Park: the East, designed by Alexander Thomson of 1868–9, which was demolished in the 1940s; and the West by James Thomson of 1873–5. In 1902, a new organ was installed in the West church and it is possible, though not certain, that the alterations, for which the contractors were paid in February 1903, were connected with the organ installation. 1

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Queen's Park Parish Church, Strathbungo Queen's Park Church.

Cost from office job book: £140 10s 0d

Status: Standing building; 1902 organ replaced since 2000

Current name: Queen's Park Parish Church

Current use: Church (2014)

Listing category: B: Listed as '170 Queen's Drive and Albert Avenue, Strathbungo Queen's Park Church including hall'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32457

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56SE 635

Grid Reference: NS 57960 62497

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.834731, lng = -4.269511   (Map)

Notes:

1: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1902–3, appendix, p. 144; Elizabeth Williamson, Anne Riches and Malcolm Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, London: Penguin, 1990, p. 548; information supplied by Lexa Boyle, Session Clerk, Queen's Park Parish Church, 15 November 2012.