Addition to 13 Professors' Square

M164 Addition to 13 Professors' Square

Address: 13, The Square, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Date: 1898–9
Client: University of Glasgow
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie added a Gothic gabled porch in dressed and rubble yellow sandstone at the existing front door on the E. elevation of 13 Professors' Square, University of Glasgow. The work coincided with the appointment of the client Reverend Robert Story as Principal of the University and his taking up residence in the house. 1

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Principal's Lodging.

Alternative addresses:
13 The Square

Cost from office job book: £133 2s 8d

Cost from other sources: £135 0s 0d 2

Status: Standing building

Current name: 13 The Square

Current use: Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor; GU Holdings Ltd (2014)

Listing category: B: Listed as 'University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill campus buildings A18 to A20 and A24, 1–13 (inclusive numbers) The Square including carriage steps, railings, lamp standards and boundary walls.'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32926

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 4356

Grid Reference: NS 56794 66614

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.871364, lng = -4.290169   (Map)


1: 'Robert Story', www.universitystory, [accessed 24 July 2012]. On 6 October 1898, the University Court received Rev. Story as Principal for the first time. At the same meeting the proposal for the porch addition was raised. Glasgow University Archive Services: University Court minutes, C1/1/6, 6 October 1898.

2: This is the value of E. C. Morgan & Son's tender, which was accepted by the University Court Works Committee. University of Glasgow Archive Services: Works Committee minutes, GB0248 GUA 11971, 7 November 1898.