Alterations to Abbey Close United Free Church, Paisley

M253 Alterations to Abbey Close United Free Church, Paisley

Address: Abbey Close, Paisley
Date: 1905–6
Client: Abbey Close United Free Church, per James Begg
Authorship: Authorship category 1 (Mackintosh) (Mackintosh)

Originally built in 1827, this church in the centre of Paisley contained later furnishings by Alexander 'Greek' Thomson (1817–1875). 1 In 1905–6, Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh added a pulpit, screen, font and electric light fittings. The church was demolished in 1965. James Begg, who is named in the job book in connection with the church, appears to have been with John Jackson & Co., grain, flour and produce importer, at 79 Hope Street, Glasgow. 2

Authorship: The job book entry is written entirely in Mackintosh's hand, and the style of the surviving font is clearly his. Mackintosh included Abbey Close in his submission to become a Fellow of the RIBA in 1906. Though included in the job book, this was essentially a furnishing scheme, not architecture.

Cost from office job book: £519 12s 6½d

Status: Building demolished; font in the collection of the Glasgow School of Art

RCAHMS Site Number: NS46SE 177

Grid Reference: NS 48494 63955

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.844940, lng = -4.421321   (Map)


1: Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1840–1980, [accessed 12 July 2012].

2: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1905–6, p. 137.