Additions and alterations to Gourock Central School

M083 Additions and alterations to Gourock Central School

Address: 26, Binnie Street, Gourock PA19 1JS
Date: 1893–4
Client: Gourock School Board
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of detail of gable on E. elevation

John Honeyman & Keppie made considerable additions and alterations to this pink sandstone school with simple pointed-arch gable-end windows, originally designed by John Honeyman in 1876. Their work in 1893–4 included a new entrance and belfry. The neighbouring Old Gourock Church was extended and altered by the practice in 1898–1900.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Cost from office job book: £1471 11s 8½d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Binnie Street Children's Centre

Current use: Educational

Listing category: C (S): Listed as 'Binnie Street, Gourock Community Education Centre, former Gourock Central School with boundary walls and railings'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 34005

RCAHMS Site Number: NS27NW 48

Grid Reference: NS 24227 77528

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.958512, lng = -4.817230   (Map)