Display all glossary entries

harling (Scots)

A weather-resistant exterior finish consisting of aggregate (small stones or gravel) mixed with a binding material (traditionally sand and lime). The wet mixture is dashed onto masonry walls. The word does not appear in the job books of John Honeyman & Keppie/Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh, where the term 'roughcast' is used instead.