George Adam & Son


Colour photograph of George Adam & Son's invoice for railings, finials and lamp bracket at the Glasgow School of Art, 1899

George Adam (1842–1933) was a blacksmith who established his firm around 1874, appearing first in the Glasgow Post Office Directory in Partick, Glasgow. By 1891, he had moved to Finnieston and had added 'wrought-iron ornamental work' to his repertoire. 1

By 1896, Adam's eldest son, James, had joined the firm, when it became George Adam & Son. At this time the work the firm was additionally described as 'art metal works' and now also undertook 'gates, railings, roofing, casements etc.' 2 In 1897, they carried out metal work for William Leiper's additions to Skelmorlie United Presbyterian Church. 3

By 1901, Adam's third son, Robert, was also working as a blacksmith, probably for his father; the firm name remained George Adam & Son. 4 By 1905, they had moved to new premises at Waldo Street, Temple. 5 The firm's ambitions may however have exceeded their income: in 1909, their forge, buildings, machinery and tools were all for sale. The sale notice remarked that they had had 'a good connection amongst architects and builders'. 6


1: Census 1891, [accessed 17 April 2012]; Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1874–5, p. 73; 1890–1, p. 100.

2: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1895–6, p. 28; 1896–7, p. 30. Census 1901,, lists James Adam as a blacksmith, aged 28.

3: Glasgow Herald, 2 June 1897, p. 11.

4: Census 1901, [accessed 10 Janaury 2013]; Glasgow Post Office Directories, 1901–9.

5: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1905–6, p. 98.

6: Scotsman, 27 March 1909, p. 4.