Scott, Clark & Co.

Railings supplier

Scott, Clark & Co. was formed by May 1898 when commission agent John Scott joined ornamental brassfounders A. W. Clark (variously known as A. W. Clark & Son, A. Clark & Co.), and was located at Victoria Works, 23–25 Oxford Street, Gorbals. 1 Adam Clark had founded a company in the 1860s which produced chandeliers, lighting brackets, plumbers', marine and shop-window brass fittings and until 1895 advertised as 'makers of the electroliers, Banqueting Hall, Glasgow Municipal Buildings'. 2 In 1900, they added the new specialism of electrical engineering to their portfolio. The partnership was unsuccessful and they petitioned for liquidation in 1903. Thereafter A. W. Clark sold electrical fittings and accessories from a city-centre shop. 3

Notes:

1: Glasgow Post Office Directories, 1895–1903.

2: Glasgow Post Office Directories, 1895–6, 1897–8, 1898–9.

3: Edinburgh Gazette, 29 May 1903, p. 553.