P. & R. Fleming

Steel and ironwork contractors and smiths

B/W Advertisement for P. & R. Fleming, 'Glasgow Building Trades Exchange', 1896, p. 206

Manufacturing ironmongers P. & R. Fleming, of Glasgow, were founded by Peter (d. 1831) and Robert Fleming (d. 1848), 1 and their brothers-in-law William (retired 1846) and Matthew Strang. 2 Strang withdrew in 1863 and also sold his own iron foundry, Strang & Hamilton. 3 Thereafter P. & R. Fleming was retained as a widely recognised trade-name supplying iron, gasfitting, and blacksmithing, under a succession of different owners, with their main branch at 29 Argyle Street. In the mid-1870s, they were making wire fences, gates and agricultural implements (a speciality), and ran their own iron warehouse and Vulcan Smith Works in Cranstonhill. 4 By the 1890s they had warehouses in Graham Square and Stockwell Street, as well as works in Partick (near the shipyards). In 1902, Fleming's employed architects H. & D. Barclay to alter their Argyle Street premises. 5

Their partners mainly belonged to the MacGregor and Howie families, including Robert Carrick MacGregor and prominent Glasgow citizen Robert Howie (1846–1927). 6

Fleming's supplied ironwork products to a variety of construction projects. Their latticed foot-bridges included the Sandeman Memorial Bridge (River Tummel, 1913); the Diamond Jubilee Bridge, Annan (1897); Daldorch Bridge, Catrine (c. 1850); and several in Victoria Park, Glasgow (c. 1910). 7 They supplied ironwork for Hairmyres Hospital and its home farm (Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, 1914–16); and fencing and stands for Hampden Park football ground (1903–4). 8 They produced mooring buoys for the River Cart (1888); kitchen equipment for Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley (1895); and patent sheep-dipping pens (1908). 9

B/W Advertisement for P. & R. Fleming, 'Glasgow Building Trades Exchange', 1896, p. 203B/W Advertisement for P. & R. Fleming, 'Glasgow Building Trades Exchange', 1896, p. 204-5


1: Wills Search, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 24 February 2013]. Edinburgh Gazette, 26 October 1849, p. 1037

2: London Gazette, 8 September 1846, p. 3228;Edinburgh Gazette, 12 December 1856, p. 1121.

3: Edinburgh Gazette, February 10, 1863, p. 223.

4: Glasgow Post Office directories, 1850–1925.

5: '29 Argyle Street', Building Report, Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 25 February 2013].

6: Edinburgh Gazette, 16 January 1912, p. 64; George Eyre-Todd, Who's Who in Glasgow in 1909, pp. 93–4, Glasgow Digital Library, www.gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/eyrwho/ [accessed 25 February 2013].

7: Scotsman, 23 May 1913, p. 6; Annan, Diamond Jubilee Bridge, Site No. NY16NE 99, Canmore Database, www.canmore.rcahms.gov.uk [accessed 24 February 2013]. Catrine, Bridge, Site No. NS52SE 131, Canmore Database, www.canmore.rchams.gov.uk; Footbridge, River Ayr, Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland, www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk [both accessed 24 February 2013].

8: Hairmyres Hospital and Farm Colony, Site Nos. NS65SW 80.01, 80.09, Canmore Database, www.canmore.rchams.gov.uk; Richard Robinson, History of the Queen's Park Football Club 1867–1917, Glasgow: Hay Nisbet, 1920, Ch. 35, www.electricscotland.com [both accessed 24 February 2013].

9: Glasgow Herald, 6 September 1888, p. 7; Falkirk Herald, 5 January 1895, p. 5; Dundee Courier, 21 July 1908, p. 3.