William Jack


William Jack was a joiner and glazier who in 1899 had his premises at 9 King Street, Helensburgh. 1 William (born c. 1849) and his brother John (born c. 1843) were the sons of a master mason from Alexandria, Dunbartonshire, but by 1881 both brothers had moved to the more prosperous nearby town of Helensburgh. 2 William employed five men and three boys in that year, while his brother continued their father's trade as a mason and builder, employing 43 men.

William's son Robert (born c. 1884) also became a joiner, and John Jack's sons likewise followed him as masons. 3 The latter was continued as 'Jack & Green' by John's eldest son, James Jack. In 1928, this partnership was dissolved, and James Jack reverted to the original company style of 'John Jack', builders, and continued on his own account. 4


1: Helensburgh Directory, Helensburgh: MacNeur & Bryden, 1899, Appendix p. xliii.

2: Censuses 1851–1901, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 14 June 2012].

3: Censuses 1851–1901, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 14 June 2012].

4: Edinburgh Gazette, 10 January 1928, p. 54.