T. J. Miller & Sons


T. J. Miller & Sons were a firm of blacksmiths, bellhangers and gasfitters founded by Thomas Johnston Miller (c. 1835–1901) around 1869 when he opened a smithy. In 1871, he was a 'master blacksmith' employing two men and one boy, and later moved to Sauchiehall Street, Parliamentary Road and Renfrew Street. Of his four sons, Thomas Miller Junior became a blacksmith, while Donald, Alexander, and James all became plumbers. The firm advertised additionally as plumbers from 1897, probably reflecting the sons' specialities, although the name was not changed to T. J. Miller & Sons until after their father's death. 1 The firm seems to have enjoyed a quiet and uneventful history, appearing in the newspapers only to advertise for workmen, such as tile-layers 'able to cut grates and build [fireplace] interiors'. 2


1: Census and will information, www.ancestry.co.uk [accessed 21 July 2012]; Glasgow Post Office directories, 1867–1911.

2: Glasgow Herald, 22 October 1897, p. 2.