George Rome & Co.


George Rome & Co. first appear in the Glasgow Post Office Directory in 1891 as plasterers, modellers, cement workers and merchants based at 136 Waterloo Street and 21a Shamrock Street (136 Waterloo Street had previously been the address of the plasterers James Caird & Co., and it may be that Rome took over Caird's business: his name is written next to Caird's inJohn Honeyman & Keppie's job-book entry for Row Parish Church). In 1894,James and Alexander Frame withdrew from the business leaving Rome as sole partner. 1 By 1904, the firm had moved to 13 Jane Street, Blythswood Square, an area of Glasgow city centre where many architects were located. In 1915, the firm of plasterers and carvers R. A. McGilvray & Ferris was incorporated into George Rome & Co. following the deaths of both its principals. By 1920, George Rome & Co. Ltd additionally undertook ferro-concrete work and manufactured patented fireproof partitions.

In 1894, the firm tendered successfully for the plasterwork in the People's Palace, Glasgow Green. 2 In 1900, George Rome was re-elected to the Bearsden Public Halls Company. 3


1: Glasgow Herald, 15 October 1894, p. 4.

2: Glasgow Herald, 7 December 1894, p. 6.

3: Glasgow Herald, 2 May 1900, p. 6.