Andrew Sharp

Builder

Andrew Motherwell Sharp (c. 1855–1927) was a stonemason and partner in George Sharp & Son, building contractors of 37 Holmhead Street, Glasgow. 1 The company was founded in the early 1850s by Andrew's father, George (born Edinburgh, c. 1827–1891), who appears in local directories as George 'Junior', to differentiate himself from an unrelated 'Senior' namesake, who coincidentally followed the same trade. 2

When George died in 1891 the firm was left to his sons Andrew and George (b. 1858) in his will, on condition 'they carry on ... under the present existing name ... George Sharp & Son', (so-called from c. 1875). 3

When Andrew's wife died in 1893, he left the partnership, but by 1900 had rejoined. 4 A third partner, their former clerk, retired in 1905; and in 1911, Andrew's brother George also retired from the firm while continuing as treasurer of the Glasgow Master Masons' Association. 5

The Sharps' projects included tenements in West Graham Street (c. 1858), extensions to Govan Parish Hospital at Merryflats, Glasgow (H. & D. Barclay, c. 1899), and the new Board School in Shuttle Street, Kilsyth (1899–1900). 6

Notes:

1: Birth and death information, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 25 August 2012]; Glasgow Post Office directories, 1850–1924.

2: Birth, death and census information, www.ancestry.co.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 15 and 26 August 2012]; Glasgow Post Office directories, 1850–1924.

3: Birth and testament information, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 26 August 2012].

4: Edinburgh Gazette, 31 January 1894, p. 278; Glasgow Post Office directories, 1850–1924.

5: Testament information, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk [accessed 26 August 2012]; Edinburgh Gazette, 21 February 1905, p. 191; 30 June 1911, p. 661; Scotsman, 1 February 1911, p. 9.

6: Glasgow Herald, 9 July 1858, p. 5; Glasgow Herald, 16 June 1899, p. 8; Glasgow Herald, 15 May 1899, p. 6.