Francis Derwent Wood

Client

The sculptor Francis Derwent Wood (1871–1926) studied at the National Art Training School, London, and at the Royal Academy Schools from 1894, followed by a year in Paris. On his return, he worked as assistant to Thomas Brock and was Visiting Director of Modelling at Glasgow School of Art between 1897 and 1900. He carried out commissions for architectural sculpture in Glasgow, including figures for the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and for Mercantile Chambers, Bothwell Street. His public monuments include Sir Titus Salt at Saltaire, Yorkshire, and Edward VII for Rangoon. He was Professor of Sculpture at the Royal College of Art from 1918 to 1923, and was elected a Royal Academician in 1920. He designed a number of war memorials, most notably the Machine Gun Corps memorial at Hyde Park Corner, London. 1

Notes:

1: Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004; Elizabeth Williamson, Anne Riches and Malcolm Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, London: Penguin, 1990, pp. 217, 278.