Addition to Dovehill Public School

M089 Addition to Dovehill Public School

Address: Little Dovehill, Glasgow
Date: 1893–5
Client: School Board of Glasgow
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)
1875
Boys school opened in Little Dovehill, in premises leased by the School Board of Glasgow. Temporary school for girls and infants opened in Graeme Street (later renamed Bell Street). 1
1877
23 August: New Dovehill Public School opened on S. side of Graeme Street, between Great Dovehill and Little Dovehill, accommodating 1066 boys and girls. 2
1884
21 August: Borrowing for an extension sanctioned by the Scotch Education Department. 3 This appears to have been an addition extending S. from the 1877 building, along the E. side of Little Dovehill.
1893
October: John Honeyman & Keppie appointed architects for a further extension. 4
November: Plans approved by Scotch Education Department. 5
1894
22 February: Plans approved by Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. 6
7 March: Tenders accepted by School Board of Glasgow. 7
16 March: Old buildings on site being demolished. 8
10 April: Foundations under way. 9
31 July: Roofed. 10
1895
16 February: 'School building finished', but work continuing on toilets, etc. 11
26 April: Extension opened. 12
After 1979
School demolished.

Notes:

1: Glasgow Herald, 21 October 1875, p. 4.

2: Glasgow Herald, 24 August 1877, p. 6.

3: Glasgow City Archives Collection: School Board of Glasgow Sites Committee minutes, D-ED1/1/3(4).

4: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow School Board Property Department letter book, D-ED1/1/12/13, copy of letter from G. W. Alexander to John Honeyman, 20 October 1893, p. 221.

5: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow School Board Property Department letter book, D-ED1/1/12/13, copy of letter from A. Stewart to John Honeyman & Keppie, 24 November 1893, p. 330.

6: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/1, p. 92.

7: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow School Board Property Department letter book, D-ED1/1/12/13, copy of letter from A. Stewart to John Honeyman & Keppie, 7 March 1894, pp. 577–8.

8: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/1, p. 92.

9: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/1, p. 92.

10: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/1, p. 92.

11: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/1, p. 92.

12: Glasgow Herald, 27 April 1895, p. 6.