Addition and alterations to Leigh Farm Cottages, Ansty

M344 Addition and alterations to Leigh Farm Cottages, Ansty

Address: Cuckfield Road, Ansty
Date: 1920–1
Client: Florence Brooks
Authorship: Authorship category 1 (Mackintosh) (Mackintosh)
1920
17 August: Mackintosh visits Burgess Hill and sketches cottages. 1
31 August: Mackintosh sends 'plans of Cottages at Burgess Hill to Miss Brooks'. 2
8 September: Florence Brooks approves sketch plans and instructs Mackintosh to proceed with working drawings and estimates. 3
1921
3 January: Mackintosh shows amended plans to Florence Brooks, who instructs him to proceed with working drawings and estimates. 4
5 January: Possible site visit. 5
10 January: 'Miss Elder' starts working for Mackintosh 'on Miss Brooks cottages', evidently as a draughtswoman. 6
April–May: Interior alterations are carried out by local building contractor Norman & Burt Ltd. 7
1944
18 August: House completely destroyed by a flying bomb, and subsequently rebuilt to a different design. 8

Notes:

1: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Mackintosh's diary for 1920, GLAHA 52408; Sketcher's Notebook, GLAHA 53015/40 (M344-004); GLAHA 53015/41 (M344-001); GLAHA 53015/42 (M344-003); GLAHA 53015/43 (M344-002).

2: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Mackintosh's diary for 1920, GLAHA 52408.

3: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Mackintosh's diary for 1920, GLAHA 52408.

4: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Mackintosh's diary for 1920, GLAHA 52408.

5: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Sketcher's Notebook, GLAHA 53015/40.

6: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Mackintosh's diary for 1920, GLAHA 52408; Thomas Howarth, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement, London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 2nd edn, 1977, p. 214.

7: London, Royal Institute of British Architects: Additions and alterations to Leigh Farm Cottages, Burgess Hill, for Miss Florence Brooks, Norman & Burt Ltd manuscript notes and rough sketches, PA 304/2 (24–34)

8: London, Royal Institute of British Architects: letter from O. R. D. Wallace to Thomas Howarth, 6 December 1954, [check reference: no longer the same as the drawings, NI 10 June 2013].