Skelmorlie Parish Church

M064 Skelmorlie Parish Church

Address: Shore Road, Skelmorlie PA17 5DY
Date: 1892–5
Client: Trustees of Skelmorlie Parish Church
Authorship: Authorship category 2 (Mackintosh and Office) (Mackintosh and Office)

Colour photograph of Skelmorlie Parish Church from S.W.

This Gothic Revival church replaced an earlier chapel on the same site, part of which survives as the church hall. It was built to serve the affluent resort village of Skelmorlie, and its rich furnishings reflect the prosperity of its Victorian congregation.

Authorship: John Honeyman was responsible for the design of the church: he made site visits at the planning stage, and he is named as architect in a contemporary account written by the minister. However, the distinctive style of some of the furnishings and fittings suggests Mackintosh's involvement. In particular, the unusual wrought-iron lamp standard outside the main entrance is very similar to the one shown in Mackintosh's 1896 perspective drawing of Martyrs Public School, and it was probably designed by him.

Alternative names: Skelmorlie and Wemyss Bay Parish Church.

Cost from office job book: Phase 1 (church): 4987 10s 11d; Phase 2 (painting): no payments recorded in job book; Phase 3 (pulpit): 85 3s 0d

Status: Standing building

Current use: Church (2014)

Listing category: B

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 7269

RCAHMS Site Number: NS16NE 10

Grid Reference: NS 19282 68111

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.872175, lng = -4.890032 (Map)