Alterations to Camis Eskan, Craigendoran

M002 Alterations to Camis Eskan, Craigendoran

Address: Craigendoran, Helensburgh G84 7JZ
Date: 1888–9; 1894–6; 1914
Client: William Middleton Campbell
Authorship: Authorship category 3 (Office with Mackintosh) (Office with Mackintosh)

The mansion of Camis Eskan was built in 1648, and remodelled in 1840 by David Hamilton. John Honeyman, and later John Honeyman & Keppie and Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh, were employed there on a number of occasions, but none of their drawings appears to survive, and it is not clear from the practice job books exactly what they did. A major remodelling by A. N. Paterson in 1915, followed by conversion to apartments in 1979, has further complicated the picture.

Authorship: Mackintosh took measurements of the house in 1894, in connection with alterations carried out in 1894–6, but it is not known if he contributed to the design of these alterations.

Alternative names: Colgrain House.

Cost from office job book: Phase 1: 359 10s d; Phase 2: 10 14s 0d; Phase 3: 993 13s 2d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Camis Eskan House

Current use: Apartments (2014)

Listing category: B

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 1169

RCAHMS Site Number: NS38SW 9

Grid Reference: NS 32085 81474

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.996790, lng = -4.694062 (Map)