Addition and alterations to Hous'hill

M243 Addition and alterations to Hous'hill

Address: Glasgow
Date: 1904–5; 1908–10
Client: John Cochrane and Catherine Cranston
Authorship: Authorship category 1 (Mackintosh) (Mackintosh)
1710
'Househill' described as a 'neat and handsome dwelling'. 1
1818
'Househill' described as a 'handsome mansion'. 2
By 1831
Late Georgian addition to existing house including a bowed, two-storey wing by David Hamilton for which four drawings survive. An amateur sketch of 'Househill' showing the bow was published in 1831, when it was described as the 'largest private house on the Levern'. 3
1858
O.S. map shows the Hamilton addition and a second bowed wing with an open centre extending from the N.E. elevation. 4
1870
A photograph by Thomas Annan in The Old Glasgow Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry shows a new conical-roofed tower on the N.W. elevation. 5
1904
16 May: Earliest contractor tender accepted. 6
1905
January–June: Majority of contractors paid. 7
1906
'The House Hill' photographed by Henry Bedford Lemere. 8
1908
January: Sheet of plans are drawn up. 9
July: Sheet of elevations and section are drawn up. 10
5 August: Approval granted for alterations. 11
9 September: Contractor tenders accepted. 12
1909
25 May: Earliest payments to contractors. 13
June: Date of Mackintosh drawing for card tables. 14
Two drawings exhibited under Mackintosh's name at Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts. 15
1910
17 November: Latest payment to contractors. 16
1934
5 July: Fire severely damages first and second (attic) floors. 17
5 October: At a meeting of Glasgow Corporation Housing Department's sites and buildings sub-committee, the Town Clerk reports on negotiations between the District Valuer of Inland Revenue and solicitors MacKenzie, Roberton & Co., acting on behalf of the Trustees of John W. Henderson (owner) associated with the proposed acquisition by the Corporation of 'Househill and its lands'. At this meeting the sub-committee agrees to the purchase of 91 acres of land at Househillwood adjacent to Barrhead Road, and immediately E. of Hous'hill across the Levern Water. 18
1935
26 November: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court grants approval for a housing estate at Househillwood. 19
1937
8 January: At a meeting of Glasgow Corporation Housing Department's sites and buildings sub-committee details of a provisional settlement with the Trustees of John W. Henderson are outlined. The purchase of 'Househill and its lands' is recommended. An entry date to the house and grounds of 2 February 1937 is included in the terms of the settlement. 20
3 December: At the monthly meeting of Glasgow Corporation Housing Department's sites and buildings sub-committee the Director of Parks presents plans for the 'proposed development of the policies of Househill as a small park or open space'. The plans are approved. The wording of the minutes suggests the house has been demolished by this date. 21
1938
O.S. map: Hous'hill's grounds and gardens are shown but the house has gone. The new Househillwood housing estate nearby is shown. 22
1939
11 May: A report submitted to Glasgow Corporation Housing Department's sites and buildings sub-committee describes the work for Househill Park as nearing completion. 23

Notes:

1: George Crawfurd, General Description of the Shire of Renfrew, 1710. Continuation to the Present Day by George Robertson, 1818, Paisley: J. Neilson, 1818, p. 45.

2: George Crawfurd, General Description of the Shire of Renfrew, 1710. Continuation to the Present Day by George Robertson, 1818, Paisley: J. Neilson, 1818, p. 310.

3: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: GLAHA 42880; GLAHA 42881; GLAHA 42882; GLAHA 42891; C. Taylor, The Levern Delineated in a Series of Most Interesting Scenery, 1831, pp. 82–3.

4: O.S., Renfrewshire XII.12 (Combined) (25 inch, 1st edn, 1858–64).

5: John Guthrie Smith and John Oswald Mitchell, The Old Glasgow Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry, Glasgow: James MacLehose & Sons, 1870, no. 57 (unpaginated).

6: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53062, p. 60.

7: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53062, pp. 59–63, 81.

8: National Monument Register, Swindon: Henry Bedford Lemere, Day Book 5, HBL 01/05, p. 216, negative nos. 19441–52; The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: GLAHA 52599; GLAHA 52600; GLAHA 52601; GLAHA 52602; GLAHA 52603.

9: Glasgow School of Art Archive: plans, MC:G48 (M243-001).

10: Glasgow School of Art Archive: elevations and sections, MC:G47 (M243-002).

11: Paisley, Renfrewshire Council Planning Department: County of Renfrew, First or Upper District, Register of New Buildings 1898–1910, no. 1228, p. 68.

12: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53063, p. 1.

13: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53063, p. 12.

14: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: GLAHA 41112.

15: Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, 1909 (686 and 690).

16: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53063, p. 13.

17: Glasgow Herald, 6 July 1934, p. 11 (ill. p. 5); Evening Times, 6 July 1934, p. 6; Paisley Gazette, 7 July 1934.

18: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, sites and building sub-committee minutes, C1/3/93, 5 October 1934.

19: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild plans, B4/12/1935/480.

20: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, sites and building sub-committee minutes, C1/3/96, 8 January 1937.

21: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, sites and building sub-committee minutes, C1/3/97, 3 December 1937.

22: O.S., Renfrewshire XII.SE (County Series 1:10560, 3rd revision, 1938–47).

23: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Corporation, Housing Department, sites and building sub-committee minutes, C1/3/100, 19 May 1939.