Additions and alterations to 3 Grosvenor Terrace

M024 Additions and alterations to 3 Grosvenor Terrace

Address: 3, Grosvenor Terrace, Glasgow G12 0TA
Date: 1889–90; 1903
Client: Thomas A. Mathieson; James H. Mathieson
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

In 1889, Thomas A. Mathieson commissioned John Honeyman & Keppie to make alterations and additions to his house at 3 Grosvenor Terrace and to design stables in Grosvenor Terrace Lane to the S. Fourteen years later, his son, James, recalled the practice, by then Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh, to design a single-storey 'motor house' to the S. of the existing stables.

No drawings for the 1889–91 work survive. However, the O.S. map of 1894 shows outbuildings on the S. side of the lane which match the form of existing buildings shown on the plans for the 1903 work. 1 The O.S. map also shows a narrow building with W.-facing canted bay on the E. side of the garden, connecting the house to another building on the N. side of the lane. This narrow building is unique among the neighbouring properties and may be the work carried out by Honeyman & Keppie. The job-book entry reveals that tiling, plumbing and painting work were carried out; details of any structural works carried out are concealed in the term 'all works', costing over 900.

By 1903, the Mathieson family no longer lived at 3 Grosvenor Terrace, 2 but annotations on Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh's motor house plans of that year show the land on the S. side of Grosvenor Terrace Lane to be the property of the 'Trustees of the late T. A. Mathieson Esq.'

The motor house had a conventional timber-truss, pitched roof and simple, double timber doors in the N. elevation. The single sheet of drawings submitted to the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court in March 1903 was signed and annotated by Keppie. Two further draughtsmen appear to have contributed to the drawings. The utilitarian brick stables and motor house made a stark contrast to the Venetian Renaissance style of J. T. Rochead's Grosvenor Terrace, built in 1855 in a light yellow sandstone. 3

The stables and motor house appear to have survived until around 1970 when they were demolished along with 363–81 Byres Road and 9–19 Grosvenor Lane. 4 Between 1972 and 1974 a large building with a supermarket on the ground floor, a car park and four floors of flats above was constructed on the site. 5

Notes:

1: O.S., Lanarkshire VI.6.6 (City of Glasgow) (25 inch, 2nd edition, 1892–4).

2: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1902–3, p. 809.

3: Elizabeth Williamson, Anne Riches and Malcolm Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, London: Penguin, 1990, p. 310.

4: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court plans B4/12/1970/705.

5: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court plans B4/12/1972/366.