Auchterarder Parish Church and hall

M229 Auchterarder Parish Church and hall

Address: 24, High Street, Auchterarder PH3 1DF
Date: 1903–5
Client: Presbytery of Auchterarder
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of N. elevation

John Honeyman & Keppie's simple Gothic Revival church with lancet windows replaced an earlier parish church, on another site, which had fallen into disrepair. It has a broad, low nave, with lower S.W. side aisle, and squat N.W. tower with battlemented parapet and short pyramidal spire. The simple roof trusses are visible in both the church and the adjacent, connected hall. Both were built in dark pink snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings. John Honeyman & Keppie also designed the pulpit, choir stalls, font, communion table and chair, chancel standards and collection plate.

Authorship: There are no drawings or documents to connect Mackintosh with this project. John Keppie attended the foundation stone laying ceremony, and the Renaissance style of the church furniture suggests his work. 1

Alternative names: Barony Parish Church.

Cost from office job book: 6175 7s 1d 2

Cost from other sources: The estimated cost of the church was 6500. 3

Status: Standing building

Current use: Church (2014)

Listing category: B: Listed as 'Barony Parish Church, High Street'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 21342

RCAHMS Site Number: NN91SW 61.00

Grid Reference: NN 94832 12966

GPS coordinates: lat = 56.297525, lng = -3.700992 (Map)

Notes:

1: John Gifford, Buildings of Scotland: Perth and Kinross, New Haven, CT and London: Yale University Press, 2007, p. 167.

2: Not including measurer's fee of 183 13s 0d or architects' commission of 231 0s 0d.

3: 'Auchterarder Parish Church. Laying of Foundation Stone', Perth Courier, 26 July 1904, p. 2.