Addition to Dovehill Public School

M089 Addition to Dovehill Public School

Address: Little Dovehill, Glasgow
Date: 1893–5
Client: School Board of Glasgow
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

In 1875, as part of its provision of school accommodation in Glasgow's poor and densely populated East End, the newly established School Board of Glasgow leased a building in Little Dovehill for boys, and fitted up another in nearby Graeme Street (later renamed Bell Street) for girls and infants. 1 These arrangements were only temporary, however, and in 1877 the Board opened a new, purpose-built school on the S. side of Graeme Street, between Little Dovehill and Great Dovehill. 2 Designed by James Thomson 3 in a plain classical style, it provided accommodation for 1066 boys and girls on two floors.

Photograph of Dovehill Public School,

On 21 August 1884, the Scotch Education Department approved the borrowing of funds for an extension. 4 This appears to have opened in May 1887, and was probably the matching wing along the E. side of Little Dovehill, shown in old photographs and on the O.S. map revised in 1892–3. 5 Finally, in 1893, John Honeyman & Keppie were appointed to design a further addition, at the S. end of the Little Dovehill wing. 6

Photograph of Dovehill Public School showing John Honeyman & Keppie addition

Honeyman & Keppie's extension follows closely the pattern established by Thomson in 1877, and unlike Martyrs Public School, commissioned just over a year later, there is little about it that is either distinctive or original. As with both Martyrs and Scotland Street schools, the School Board handled the tendering process, though Honeyman & Keppie were asked to supply a list of potential contractors. 7 Only the successful tenders are recorded in the architects' job book.

The new addition was the same height as the earlier phases of the school, but the fall of the ground meant it had three storeys. There was a workshop at basement level, with rooms for teaching laundry and cookery on the ground floor, and two classrooms on the first floor. Fireproof construction (concrete on rolled iron beams) was used between the basement and ground floor, timber between the ground and upper floors. A staircase separated the new rooms from the existing S. wing, with teachers' rooms on each landing. The extension had its own entrance, and was described at its opening as being 'for all practical purposes a self-contained annexe'. 8

The school was still standing in 1979, 9 but has since been demolished.

Notes:

1: Glasgow Herald, 21 October 1875, p. 4.

2: Glasgow Herald, 24 August 1877, p. 6.

3: Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1840–1980, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 17 October 2011].

4: Glasgow City Archives Collection: School Board of Glasgow Sites Committee minutes, D-ED1/1/3/4, 21 August 1884.

5: Glasgow Herald, 27 April 1895, p. 6; O. S., Glasgow, 1895, sheet VI.11.18.

6: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow School Board Property Department letter book, D-ED1/1/12/13, copy of letter from G. W. Alexander to John Honeyman, 20 October 1893, p. 221.

7: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow School Board Property Department letter book, D-ED1/1/12/13, copy of letter from A. Stewart to John Honeyman & Keppie, 24 November 1893, p. 330.

8: Glasgow Herald, 27 April 1895, p. 6.

9: Glasgow Herald, 7 February 1979, p. 8.