Alterations and addition to Apex Motor Engineering Co. Ltd

M300 Alterations and addition to Apex Motor Engineering Co. Ltd

Address: 58, Cromwell Street (off Great Western Road), Glasgow
Date: 1910
Client: The Apex Motor Engineering Co. Ltd
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Squeezed into the backlands between tenements facing Cromwell Street, Great Western Road and Burnbank Terrace, these premises were originally a long, plain, two-storey, brick range of stables, built in 1884 for Alexander Frew, coachbuilder and carriage hirer. 1 They were altered in 1910 for Apex Motor Engineering Co. Ltd by Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh, who made minor internal changes and added a lean-to glazed roof at the entrance, covering what had been an open court. Glasgow Dean of Guild Court records identify the builder as G. B. Ritchie, mason, of Elmbank Street, but this name does not appear in the architects' job-book entry. 2

All the buildings have been demolished, but photographs show that the additions were utilitarian. 3 The building housed a motoring school, which expanded to cater for growing numbers of women drivers after the outbreak of the First World War. 4

B/W photograph of office entrance to Apex Motor Engineering Co. LtdB/W photograph of covered yard at Apex Motor Engineering Co. Ltd

Notes:

1: John R. Hume, Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow, Glasgow and London: Blackie, 1974, p. 160.

2: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Glasgow Dean of Guild Court, Register of Inspections, D-OPW 25/65, p. 2.

3: Scottish Country Life, 3, no. 6, June 1916, pp. 258–9.

4: Scottish Country Life, 3, no. 6, June 1916, pp. 258–9.