Alterations to The Knowe

M098 Alterations to The Knowe

Address: 24, Queen's Drive, Glasgow G42 8DD
Date: 1894
Client: James Simpson
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

This classical villa overlooking Queen's Park on Glasgow's South Side was built c. 1879. It was bought c. 1886 by the cabinetmaker and upholsterer James Simpson, and extended for him in 1892 by the architect Henry Edward Clifford (1852–1932). 1 According to John Honeyman & Keppie's job book, they made unspecified alterations to the house for Simpson two years later, involving work by a 'stair railer'. This may refer to the addition of the attic staircase, which is not shown on the plans submitted by Clifford to the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court in 1892. 2

Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh were employed by Simpson in 1901 to design new premises for his furniture business at 102–108 London Road, but the building did not go ahead. In 1903 they designed an entirely new shop for the business at 309–313 Sauchiehall Street.

Notes:

1: Historic Scotland Listed Building report 32446, www.historic-scotland.gov.uk [accessed 18 January 2012].

2: Historic Scotland Listed Building report 32446, www.historic-scotland.gov.uk [accessed 18 January 2012].