Additions and alterations to Gourock Parish Church

M167 Additions and alterations to Gourock Parish Church

Address: Royal Street, Gourock PA19 1PZ
Date: 1899–1900
Client: Gourock Parish Church
Authorship: Authorship category 2 (Mackintosh and Office) (Mackintosh and Office)

Colour photograph of secondary gate in boundary wall at S.E. Old Gourock & Ashton Parish Church

1832
27 May: Church opens. 1
1872
Gourock Parish Church is established. A hall and vestry are built. 2
1873
An organ installed. 3
1898
The decision is taken to enlarge the church. An appeal to the congregation seeks to raise 1200 for the building work. The amount raised totals 1700. 4
1899
February: Contractor tenders submitted. 5
July: Building work begins. 6
1900
22 April: Church reopens following completion of the additions and alterations. 7
November: Latest payments to contractors. 8
1925
New church furniture installed. 9
1929
October: Gourock Parish Church is renamed Old Gourock Church. Its stained glass and oak furnishings are noted. 10
Late 1930s
A small square hall is added at N.W. to commemorate a minister who died while climbing Mont Blanc. 11
1998
Separate hall added to N. of church. This date can be seen inside a round moulding on its E. elevation. 12
c. 2008
Kitchen remodelled. 13
2011
Internal alterations to halls to improve accessibility. 14

Notes:

1: Colin Milne, The Story of Gourock 1858–1958, downloaded version provided by McLean Museum & Art Gallery, Greenock, 2009, pp. 6–7.

2: Colin Milne, The Story of Gourock 1858–1958, downloaded version provided by McLean Museum & Art Gallery, Greenock, 2009, p. 7.

3: Plaque on the organ case gives this date along with makers' names.

4: Colin Milne, The Story of Gourock 1858–1958, downloaded version provided by McLean Museum & Art Gallery, Greenock, 2009, p. 7.

5: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53061, p. 183; p. 185.

6: Greenock Telegraph & Clyde Shipping Gazette, 21 April 1900.

7: Greenock Telegraph & Clyde Shipping Gazette, 21 April 1900.

8: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: John Honeyman & Keppie / Honeyman Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53061, pp. 184, 186.

9: 'Gourock Old Parish Church', Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1840–1980, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 6 May 2011].

10: Colin Milne, The Story of Gourock 1858–1958, downloaded version provided by McLean Museum & Art Gallery, Greenock, 2009, p. 7.

11: Information supplied during visit on 4 May 2011. A plaque in the hall records the dedication.

12: Information supplied during visit on 4 May 2011.

13: Information supplied during visit on 4 May 2011.

14: Information supplied during visit on 4 May 2011.