Additions and alterations to Gourock Parish Church

M167 Additions and alterations to Gourock Parish Church

Address: Royal Street, Gourock PA19 1PZ
Date: 1899–1900
Client: Gourock Parish Church
Authorship: Authorship category 2 (Mackintosh and Office) (Mackintosh and Office)

Colour photograph of S.E. elevation of Old Gourock & Ashton Parish Church

John Honeyman & Keppie extended the chancel, added porches to the N. and S. elevations, constructed new boundary walls, erected wrought-iron railings, and rearranged the internal layout of the church halls. In addition they provided several items of furniture, No drawings for the building work or furniture survive.

Authorship: The church furniture has been attributed to Mackintosh. 1 The design of the wrought-iron railings may also be his work.

Alternative names: Gourock Established Church, Old Gourock Parish Church, Royal, Old Gourock and Ashton Parish Church, Old Gourock and Ashton Parish Church.

Cost from office job book: 2316 15s 7d

Cost from other sources: 'close on 2,500' 2

Status: Standing building

Current name: Old Gourock & Ashton Parish Church

Current use: Church (2014)

Listing category: B: Listed as 'Royal, Old Gourock and Ashton Parish Church with boundary walls, gatepiers and railings'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 34021

RCAHMS Site Number: NS27NW 119

Grid Reference: NS 24280 77522

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.95842, lng = -4.816325 (Map)

Notes:

1: Roger Billcliffe, Charles Rennie Mackintosh: The Complete Furniture, Furniture Drawings and Interior Designs, Moffat, Dumfriesshire: Cameron & Hollis, 4th edn, 2009, p. 77.

2: 'Gourock. Reopening of Parish Church', Greenock Telegraph & Clyde Shipping Gazette, 21 April 1900.