Workmen's housing, Tulloch, Perth

M200 Workmen's housing, Tulloch, Perth

Address: 61–75, Tulloch Terrace, Tulloch PH1 2PS
Date: 1901–2
Client: J. Pullar & Sons
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

In 1882, J. Pullar & Sons acquired land at Tulloch, N.W. of Perth, to extend the premises of their town-centre dye works which had been established in 1824. Like many philanthropically-minded industrial employers before them, Pullar's plans included housing for employees and a school. 1

Between 1882 and 1897 50 dwellings, a mix of houses and flats, were built at Tulloch and nearby Hillylands. 2 In 1902 a further eighteen residences were added by Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh at Tulloch Terrace and thirteen by Perth architect Andrew Heiton at Hillylands, Perth. 3 Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh designed a row of eight single-storey, semi-detached cottages on the S. side of Tulloch Terrace and, to their E., two two-storey blocks, together containing ten flats, known as Tulloch Place. The cottages remain standing while the flats were demolished. It is not known if the two-storey blocks were built in the same style as the cottages.

How Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh were awarded the commission at Perth, and that for additions and alterations at Pullar's branch in Bath Street, Glasgow in 1902–3, is unclear. David Stark has suggested a connection in Bridge of Allan where John Honeyman and Laurence Pullar, who ran the company dye works there, were near neighbours. 4

No drawings or documents for the cottages have been traced. It is therefore unclear whether Mackintosh made any contribution to the design of the cottages. The cottages are untypical of the work of the practice, though similar half-timbered gables can be found on near contemporary work at 29 Hamilton Drive, Glasgow, a Mackintosh project, and at The Mary Acre, Brechin, apparently supervised by John Keppie. The roughcast exterior of the cottages and the slightly battered form and the cant of the one surviving original chimney may suggest Mackintosh's involvement or influence.

Notes:

1: The school was open for only 16 years, 1895 –1911. The building then became the Tulloch Institute which was used for educational and sporting activities for Pullar's employees. Perth & Kinross Council Archive: Sir John Foster-Fraser, Pullars of Perth 1824–1924, MS51/5/5.18(1), pp. 24–5.

2: Perth, Perth & Kinross Council Archive: Valuation Roll, County of Perth, Perth Burgh, 1882–3, CCI 8/1/25, p. 69; 1883–4, CCI 8/1/26, p. 70; Perth, Perth & Kinross Council Archive: Record of work at workers' housing, 1902, unpaginated, MS51/1/239. This document also gives details of the number and types rooms in the cottages and flats designed by Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh.

3: Heiton's terrace of nine houses fell inside the Burgh of Perth and so drawings were submitted to Perth Dean of Guild Court. Perth, Perth & Kinross Council Archive: Perth Dean of Guild Court plans, MS51/4a–h, stamped 12 May 1902. Tulloch Terrace was located in Tibbermore Parish, outside the Burgh, where, apparently, no permission to build was required in 1902.

4: David Stark, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Co., Catrine, Ayrshire: Stenlake Publishing, 2004, p. 127; p. 229.