Memorials to Rev. and Mrs Duncan at St David's Church, Kirkintilloch

M225 Memorials to Rev. and Mrs Duncan at St David's Church, Kirkintilloch

Address: Ledgate, Kirkintilloch G66 1HE
Date: 1903
Client: J. D. G. Dalrymple
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

In 1903, Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh designed a memorial brass for St David's Church, Ledgate, where they had designed a Hall in 1895–6. The plaque commemorated Thomas Gray Duncan, the first minister of the church (1838–43), and his wife Mary Dalrymple, and was commissioned by their son James Duncan, later known as J. D. G. Dalrymple. The plaque was made by Thomas J. Gawthorp of London. 1 In 1903 Dalrymple also donated a wooden font to the church in memory of his parents. Alterations to this font are recorded in the job book.

The plaque and font since been relocated.

Authorship: The French Renaissance style of the font suggests John Keppie as designer and is similar to contemporary church furniture at Auchterarder Parish Church. The lettering on the plaque is similar to that found on numerous drawings by Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh around this time.

Alternative names: St David's and St Andrew's Church.

Cost from office job book: 62 1s 9d

Status: Extant in new location

RCAHMS Site Number: NS67SE 109.01 (original location)

Grid Reference: NS 6555 7430 (original location)

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.942880, lng = -4.154287 (Map)

Notes:

1: David Meara, Victorian Memorial Brasses, London: Routledge, 1973, p. 73.