Alterations to Gadgirth, near Annbank

M231 Alterations to Gadgirth, near Annbank

Address: near Annbank, Ayrshire
Date: 1903–4
Client: Finlay Smith
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh made major alterations to the existing large house, built in 1808 on the site of an earlier castle, for Glasgow tobacconist, Finlay Smith, who acquired the house and its estate c. 1903. 1 The alterations appear to have been largely internal – the footprint of the house on O.S. maps did not change following the work – and included a library and work at a gardener's house, outhouses, washhouse, and extensive interior decoration. The library must have been of particular aesthetic interest as a drawing of it, now lost, was exhibited at the Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts in 1905. The house was demolished in 1968. 2

Authorship: Ronald Harrison, an early student of Mackintosh's architecture in the 1930s, who had access to the office records, included 'Outhouse' Gadgirth on a list he compiled of drawings produced in the office during Mackintosh's time, but no further evidence has come to light to support an attribution to Mackintosh.

Cost from office job book: 6795 8s 7d; 3742 13s 9d for furnishings and fittings

Status: House demolished in 1968; estate buildings survive 3

RCAHMS Site Number: NS42SW 1

Grid Reference: NS 4086 2229

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.468479, lng = -4.518968 (Map)

Notes:

1: Zane Love, Lost Ayrshire, Edinburgh: Birlinn, 2005, p. 112; Ayr Carnegie Library: Ayrshire Valuations Rolls, vol. 2, Coylton Parish, Kyle District, 1902–3, p. 52; 1903–4, p. 52; 1905–6, p. 52. In 1903–4, Smith's address is listed as 'Italian Villa, Pollockshields, Glasgow'.

2: Zane Love, Lost Ayrshire, Edinburgh: Birlinn, 2005, p. 112.

3: Zane Love, Lost Ayrshire, Edinburgh: Birlinn, 2005, p. 112.