T. & R. Annan & Sons

M227 T. & R. Annan & Sons

Address: 518, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3LW
Date: 1903–4; 1911
Client: T. & R. Annan & Sons
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of S. front of 518 Sauchiehall Street

These were the purpose-designed premises of the leading Glasgow photographic firm T. & R. Annan & Sons. As well as a ground-floor showroom and a gallery for art exhibitions, the building included a studio and extensive work rooms and offices. The red sandstone facade to Sauchiehall Street has features derived from 17th-century architecture, most conspicuously an elaborate Dutch gable. It incorporates statues by R. A. McGilvray & Ferris.

Authorship: According to the architect W. S. Moyes, who worked in Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh's office at this date, the building was designed by John Keppie. There is no evidence that Mackintosh was involved, although there is a drawing of the Sauchiehall Street elevation – different in some respects from the executed design – which is apparently in his hand.

Alternative addresses:
333 Renfrew Street

Cost from office job book: 6253 8s 10d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum

Current use: Regimental museum (2014)

Listing category: B

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 33198

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 414

Grid Reference: NS 58070 66016

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.866357, lng = -4.269598 (Map)