Alterations to Belhaven Mission Hall

M250 Alterations to Belhaven Mission Hall

Address: Kelvinside Avenue, Glasgow
Date: 1904–6
Client: Belhaven United Free Church
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

B/W photograph of Belhaven Mission Hall

Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh carried out substantial, unspecified alterations at the North Kelvinside mission hall of Belhaven United Free Church (Belhaven United Presbyterian Church until 1900). 1 The interior work carried out included children's seating, teachers' desks and chairs, and electrical wiring and fittings.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Cost from office job book: 1437 3s 10d

Status: Demolished

Grid Reference: NS 5732 6780

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.882151, lng = -4.282512 (Map)

Notes:

1: City and Royal Burgh of Glasgow Valuation Rolls, 1913–14, p. 177, no. 59. Belhaven United Free Church in Dundonald Road, Dowanhill, was built in 1875–7 to a design by Campbell Douglas & Sellars when the congregation was formed. It is thought the same firm designed the Mission Hall. 'Belhaven United Free Church', 'Belhaven Mission', Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1840–1980, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 30 July 2012].