Addition to Rhu Parish Church

M032 Addition to Rhu Parish Church

Address: Church Road, Rhu (Row) G84 8RP
Date: 1890–2
Client: Row Parish Church
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Photograph of exterior of nave of Row Parish Church

In 1891 John Honeyman & Keppie extended the nave of Rhu Parish Church, a Gothic Revival building dating from 1851 by William Spence (c. 1806–1883). The extension is square-ended and aisleless, with Decorated window tracery to match Spence's original building. The harled walls have stone dressings. The most distinctive features are the gently sloping buttresses, which only have set-offs at the top. Later additions have been made on both sides of the nave.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Rhu Parish Church.

Alternative addresses:
Gareloch Road

Cost from office job book: 1332 10s 11d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Rhu and Shandon Parish Church

Current use: Church (2014)

Listing category: B

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 19498

RCAHMS Site Number: NS28SE 31.00

Grid Reference: NS 26717 83997

GPS coordinates: lat = 56.017584, lng = -4.781483 (Map)