Alterations to Western Baths

M285 Alterations to Western Baths

Address: 8–12, Cranworth Street, Glasgow G12 8BZ
Date: 1907–8; 1910
Client: Western Baths Co. Ltd
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of entrance front of Western Baths Club

This private swimming club was built between 1876 and 1881 to a Gothic Revival design by Clarke & Bell of Glasgow. In 1907–8, Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh made significant internal alterations, horizontally dividing the S. wing to create a suite of private bathrooms and treatment rooms; none of this partitioning survives. They were paid for further changes in 1910.

Authorship: The drawings approved by the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court in October 1907 are signed by John Keppie, which suggests that he was the partner in charge of the project. This is supported by stylistic evidence: a screen subdividing the former reading room above the entrance hall closely resembles other joinery designed by Keppie (the screen is not specifically mentioned in Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh's job book, but it appears to be one of their additions). 1

Cost from office job book: Phase 1: 2836 4s 10d; Phase 2: 21 8s 0d

Status: Standing building

Current use: Swimming and leisure club (2014)

Listing category: B

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32859

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 1994

Grid Reference: NS 56773 67200

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.876645, lng = -4.290665 (Map)

Notes:

1: The possibility of subdividing this room had been raised as early as 1894, when it was suggested in a letter to the Glasgow Herald as a way of separating serious readers from noisy whist players: Glasgow Herald, 5 September 1894. p. 10.