Alterations to The Red House, Johnstone

M290 Alterations to The Red House, Johnstone

Address: 29, Auchengreoch Avenue, Johnstone PA5 0RJ
Date: 1908–9
Client: A. B. McKechnie
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh's alterations to A. B. McKechnie's home included mason, joiner and slater work as well as a set of dining-room chairs. 1 At the same date a memorial to his grandfather in Paisley Abbey was commissioned by McKechnie. The two commissions are recorded together in the firm's job books.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Cost from office job book: 493 10s 5d

Status: Standing building

Current name: The Red House

Current use: Residential (2014)

RCAHMS Site Number: NS46SW 8 (Cochrane Tower, Red House, Johnstone)

Grid Reference: NS 4180 6156

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.821366, lng = -4.526711 (Map)

Notes:

1: Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1908–9, p. 436. The Red House was designed in the 1890s by Charles Davidson in an Arts and Crafts style. Plans and perspective of the house were published in Academy Architecture in 1897. 'Charles Davidson', Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1840–1980, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 24 July 2012].