Alterations and additions to Lenzie United Free Church

M268 Alterations and additions to Lenzie United Free Church

Address: 65, Kirkintilloch Road, Lenzie G66 4LD
Date: 1906
Client: Trustees of Lenzie United Free Church
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)
1906
12 March: A joint meeting of the church Session and Managers decides to extend the church to provide more sittings. The appointment of an architect is remitted to a subcommittee comprising 'Messrs Speirs, Annan and Todd'. The first two are evidently William Speirs (born c. 1842), of the Glasgow oil merchants W. M. Gemmill & Co.; and the photographer James Craig Annan (1864–1946). 1
4 April: John Keppie attends a joint meeting of the church Session and Managers, and answers questions about Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh's plans for a new N. aisle. 2
23 April: At a special meeting the congregation decides to proceed with the plans. 3
2 May: Keppie is formally appointed architect. 4
May: Keppie makes drawings for submission to Kirkintilloch Dean of Guild Court. 5
7 June: Plans approved by Kirkintilloch Dean of Guild Court. 6
28 June: Tenders accepted from principal contractors. 7
23 December: Extended church reopens. 8

Notes:

1: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Lenzie Union Church Session minutes, CH3/644/2, 12 March 1906.

2: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Lenzie Union Church Session minutes, CH3/644/2, 4 April 1906.

3: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Lenzie Union Church Session minutes, CH3/644/2, 23 April 1906.

4: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Lenzie Union Church Session minutes, CH3/644/2, 2 May 1906.

5: Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire Leisure & Culture Trust (William Patrick Library): Kirkintilloch Dean of Guild plans, BK/9/4/1906/19.

6: Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire Leisure & Culture Trust (William Patrick Library): Kirkintilloch Dean of Guild plans, BK/9/4/1906/19.

7: The Hunterian, University of Glasgow: Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh job book, GLAHA 53062, pp. 111–2.

8: Gathered Leaves: The Jubilee Book of the Lenzie United Free Church, Glasgow: Bone & Hulley, 1925, p. 22.