Alterations to Abercorn Parish Church

M039 Alterations to Abercorn Parish Church

Address: Abercorn EH30 9SL
Date: 1891–4
Client: Abercorn Parish Church
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie carried out substantial restoration work in 1893–4 following consultation between the heritors and John Honeyman during the previous two years. The work included repairs to the roof, floor, windows and doors, chancel arch and belfry, as well as an extenstion to the building to accommodate larger numbers in improved pews. The work was paid for by the Abercorn Parish Heritors who included the minister, J. H. Crawford and representatives of local landowners the Earl of Hopetoun, the Dalyell of The Binns and of the North British Railway. 1

Published sources state that Glasgow architect Peter Macgregor Chalmers restored the church in 1893. 2 However, there is no mention of Chalmers in the Heritors' minutes. 3

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Abercorn Kirk.

Cost from office job book: 1590 15s 8d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Abercorn Church

Current use: Church (2014)

Listing category: A: Listed as 'Abercorn Kirk'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 612

RCAHMS Site Number: NT07NE 1

Grid Reference: NT 08141 79097

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.996000, lng = -3.474303 (Map)

Notes:

1: Edinburgh, National Records of Scotland: Records of heritors of Abercorn Parish, minute book with accounts 1832–1930, 30 March and 7 April 1893; 23 November 1894.

2: Colin McWilliam and Christopher Wilson, Buildings of Scotland: Lothian except Edinburgh, London: Penguin, 1978, pp. 69–70.

3: Edinburgh, National Records of Scotland: Records of heritors of Abercorn Parish, minute book with accounts 1832–1930, 30 March and 7 April 1893; 23 November 1894.