Additions and alterations to Queen Margaret College hall of residence

M110 Additions and alterations to Queen Margaret College hall of residence

Address: Lilybank House, Bute Gardens, Glasgow G12 8RT
Date: 1895–6; 1908
Client: Queen Margaret Hall Co. Ltd
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of N. and E. elevations of addition

John Honeyman & Keppie's drawings submitted to the Dean of Guild Court show that the existing, single-storey N. wing of the Queen Margaret College hall of residence, Lilybank House, was raised by one floor and interior alterations made on its ground floor to provide additional student bedrooms. The new storey was built in keeping with the style of the original, mid-19th century house. Further alterations, including plumbing, decorative work and repairs to roofs and drains, were also carried out. The practice returned in 1908 to make minor alterations.

Authorship: John Keppie is listed as 'honorary consulting architect' in an 1894 Queen Margaret College Hall Co. Ltd share application document. Mackintosh contributed to the concurrent Queen Margaret College Anatomical Department and it is possible he may also have been involved here, though there is no evidence to confirm this. 1

Cost from office job book: Phase 1: 1604 2s 4d; Phase 2: 43 0s 0d

Status: Standing building

Current name: Lilybank House

Current use: University of Glasgow Economic & Social History; Centre for the History of Medicine; and Centre for Business History (2014)

Listing category: A: Listed as 'University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill Campus building D9, 42 Bute Gardens, Lilybank House'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 32853

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 993

Grid Reference: NS 56796 66913

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.874033, lng = -4.290412 (Map)

Notes:

1: University of Glasgow Archive Services: Queen Margaret College Hall Co. Ltd share application, 1894, GB0248 DC233/2/13/1/2.