Restoration of St Michael's Church, Linlithgow

M095 Restoration of St Michael's Church, Linlithgow

Address: The Cross, Linlithgow EH49 7AL
Date: 1894–6
Client: St Michael's Church, Linlithgow
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Photograph of Linlithgow Church chancel from S.E.

1894
6 May: Church closed for restoration. 1
1895
June: Restoration in progress 'for the past twelve months'. 2 Services conducted in the partially restored church on Sunday 16 June. 3
November: Church has been 'fitted up with temporary pulpit, benches and chairs', but restoration is still incomplete due to lack of funds. No work has yet been done on the tower or 'triforia'. 4
1896
January: Pulpit, made by John Taylor &ampSon, erected, the gift of J. Millar Richard of Clarendon. 5
August: Carved oak communion table installed. 6
24 October: Church formally reopened on completion of restoration. 7
1897
June: John Honeyman, during a visit to Linlithgow by the Edinburgh Architectural Association, 'showed on drawings the proposed additional work'. 8
1898
July: Measured drawings of St Michael's by Donald M. Stoddart awarded silver medal in National Competition for Schools of Art. 9
September: Decayed mullions of W. window replaced. 10

Notes:

1: John Ferguson, Ecclesia Antiqua, or, the History of an Ancient Church (St Michael's, Linlithgow) with an Account of its Chapels, Chantries and Endowments, Edinburgh and London: Oliver & Boyd, 1905, p. 127.

2: Dundee Courier, 13 June 1895, p. 3.

3: Aberdeen Journal, 18 June 1895, p. 5.

4: Glasgow Herald, 8 November 1895, p. 9.

5: Glasgow Herald, 14 January 1896, p. 7; British Architect, 10 January, 1896, p. 34.

6: Aberdeen Journal, 25 August 1896, p. 5.

7: John Ferguson, Ecclesia Antiqua, or, the History of an Ancient Church (St Michael's, Linlithgow) with an Account of its Chapels, Chantries and Endowments, Edinburgh and London: Oliver & Boyd, 1905, p. 127.

8: British Architect, 47, 25 June 1897, p. 451.

9: British Architect, 50, 29 July 1898, p. 74.

10: British Architect, 50, 30 September 1898, p. 237.