Organ case at St Michael's Church, Edinburgh

M118 Organ case at St Michael's Church, Edinburgh

Address: 1, Slateford Road, Edinburgh EH11 1NX
Date: 1895
Client: St Michael's Church
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie designed the case for a new organ, by Brindley & Foster of Sheffield, for this church, which was built by John Honeyman in 1881–3. 1 The work was carried out by Hutcheson & Grant who were not among the original five contractors who submitted tenders. The organ was renovated in 1937 and completely rebuilt in 1974. John Honeyman & Keppie's work does not appear to survive. 2

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Cost from office job book: 109 7s 0d

Status: Organ case removed

Current name: St Michael's Parish Church

Current use: Church (2014)

Listing category: A: Listed as 'Slateford Road St Michael's Parish Church with church hall and Beadle's house, boundary walls and railings'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 26846

RCAHMS Site Number: NT27SW 230

Grid Reference: NT 23428 72188

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.936625, lng = -3.227318 (Map)

Notes:

1: John Gifford, Colin McWilliam, David M. Walker and Christopher Wilson, Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh, London: Penguin, 1984, pp. 505–6.

2: Information from Church history publication and from current organist, supplied by Fiona MacMillan, church secretary, 26 October 2012.