Memorial to Sir James Watson in Glasgow Cathedral

M059 Memorial to Sir James Watson in Glasgow Cathedral

Address: Cathedral Square, Glasgow G4 OQZ
Date: 1891
Client: James Watson's daughters
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie designed a significant memorial costing over 500 to Sir James Watson (1801–1889), a stockbroker and philanthropist who had served as Lord Provost and Lord Dean of Guild of Glasgow. It was located in the S. transept of Glasgow Cathedral. A plaque there states that the marble bust was transferred to the Royal Technical College (now Strathclyde University) in 1953. However its whereabouts are now not known (2012). 1 The marble bust was made by the prominent sculptor James Pittendrigh Macgillivray.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Cost from office job book: 511 0s 0d

Status: Unknown

RCAHMS Site Number: NS66NW 17.00 (Glasgow Cathedral; original location)

Grid Reference: NS 60248 65577 (Glasgow Cathedral; original location)

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.863096, lng = -4.233958 (Map)

Notes:

1: George Eyre-Todd, ed., The Book of Glasgow Cathedral: A History and Description, Glasgow: Morison Brothers, 1898, pp. 437–8; 'Sir James Watson', University of Glasgow Story, www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk [accessed 21 August 2012].