Addition and alterations to 29 Hamilton Drive

M197 Addition and alterations to 29 Hamilton Drive

Address: 29, Hamilton Drive, Glasgow G12 8DN
Date: 1901
Client: Alexander Frew
Authorship: Authorship category 2 (Mackintosh and Office) (Mackintosh and Office)

Photograph of conservatory at 29 Hamilton Drive

1–33 Hamilton Drive is a terrace of two-storey houses of 1857–9, designed by the architect-builder Robert Crawford (c. 1803–61). 1

Photograph of front elevation of 29 Hamilton Drive

John Honeyman & Keppie's addition at the rear of 29 is a small, roughcast structure with a slated roof and half-timbered gable. It is attached to the elevated ground floor of the house, above the basement, and rests on a grid of steel beams and joists, supported by the garden wall and by a cast-iron column at its S.E. corner. The plans approved by the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court in May 1901 show a bathroom and toilet occupying the W. half, while the rest serves as a conservatory, its S. and E. elevations consisting largely of windows. Today (2014), the whole extension is a single room, and an external staircase to the garden has been added at the S.W. corner. A small outdoor toilet is tucked underneath at basement level.

Photograph of conservatory at 29 Hamilton DrivePhotograph of conservatory gable at 29 Hamilton DrivePhotograph of conservatory at 29 Hamilton Drive from below

The combination of half-timbering and roughcast – derived from architects of the Arts and Crafts movement such as C. F. A. Voysey – is at odds with the classical, stone elevation of the terrace. The design lacks the subtlety of Mackintosh's harled houses, Windyhill and The Hill House, but the drawings appear to be in his hand, and he was probably responsible for the design. The square cast-iron column with its flared capital resembles the column in the S.W. transept gallery at Queen's Cross Church.

Photograph of iron column supporting conservatory at 29 Hamilton DrivePhotograph of column capital supporting conservatory at 29 Hamilton Drive

Access to the extension from the house is via a narrow passage, created by subdividing a former dressing room with a timber and glass partition. This work is not shown on the 1901 Dean of Guild plans, but stylistically it appears to date from the early 20th-century.

Photograph of passage to conservatory at 29 Hamilton DrivePhotograph of glazing in passage to conservatory at 29 Hamilton Drive

A report on the condition of the extension was produced as part of the Mackintosh Buildings Survey, led by the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society and carried out between 2015 and 2016. 2

Notes:

1: Elizabeth Williamson, Anne Riches and Malcolm Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, London: Penguin, 1990, p. 353.

2: A copy of the report (MBS27) is held by the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society, Mackintosh Queen's Cross, 870 Garscube Road, Glasgow G20 7EL. The Mackintosh Buildings Survey was funded by The Monument Trust.