Additions and alterations to House of Shelter for Females, Whitevale Street

M104 Additions and alterations to House of Shelter for Females, Whitevale Street

Address: 13 and/or 15, Whitevale Street, Glasgow G31 1QW
Date: 1895; 1900
Client: Trustees of the Houses of Shelter for Females
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie made alterations and additions to one of Glasgow's two Houses of Shelter for Females. The Whitevale Street premises were designed by John Honeyman in the late 1870s. These charitable houses offered accommodation and employment in laundries for women recently released from the nearby Duke Street Prison. The first phase of work added a reception room and three bedrooms to an existing two-storey house. The second phase included the construction of a new laundry chimney, alterations and repairs. 1

The treasurer of the Trustees of the Houses of Shelter for the duration of John Honeyman & Keppie's work was W. R. M. Church. He later commissioned the practice to make minor alterations to 2 Athole Gardens, his home in the West End of the city.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Prison Gate Mission, Whitevale Mission Laundry.

Cost from office job book: Phase 1: 328 2s 5d; Phase 2: 240 0s 0d

Status: Partly demolished

RCAHMS Site Number: NS66SW 374

Grid Reference: NS 6130 6496

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.857816, lng = -4.217487 (Map)

Notes:

1: The second House of Shelter for Females was in Garnethill. Glasgow Post Office Directory, 1896–7, appendix p. 136; 1900–1, appendix p. 157; David Stark, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Co., Catrine, Ayrshire: Stenlake Publishing, 2004, pp. 96–7; Elizabeth Williamson, Anne Riches and Malcolm Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, London: Penguin, 1990, p. 448.