Alterations to Girls' House of Refuge, Maryhill

M122 Alterations to Girls' House of Refuge, Maryhill

Address: Glasgow
Date: 1896
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie installed baths and made alterations to the three-storey building in simple Scots Renaissance style designed by John Honeyman, opened in 1867. It was part of the Glasgow Magdalene Institution, a charitable religious organisation which aimed to educate and rehabilitate 'fallen women'. Honeyman's building accommodated up to 130 'inmates' whose chief employment was laundry. Honeyman's brother, Michael Honeyman, was a director of the Institution. 1

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Glasgow Magdalene Institution, Lochburn Home.

Cost from office job book: 248 19s 4d

Status: Demolished

Grid Reference: NS 5734 6917

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.894457, lng = -4.282915 (Map)

Notes:

1: 'Glasgow Magdalene Institution', www.theglasgowstory.com [accessed 25 October 2012]; David Stark, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Co., Catrine, Ayrshire: Stenlake Publishing, 2004, pp. 92–7.