Alterations to Chapelton Reformatory for Girls, Bearsden

M127 Alterations to Chapelton Reformatory for Girls, Bearsden

Address: Bearsden
Date: 1896–7
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

B/W photograph of front elevation

John Honeyman & Keppie made unspecified alterations to the two-storey building in simple Scots Renaissance style, designed by John Honeyman and opened in 1881. This residential institution was run by Glasgow Corporation and could accommodate up to 60 girls who had committed offences for which an adult would have been imprisoned. Honeyman's brother, Michael Honeyman, was the treasurer to the commissioners appointed to establish reformatories, houses of refuge and industrial schools as a result of the 1878 Glasgow Juvenile Delinquency Prevention and Repression Act. 1

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Glasgow Reformatory for Girls, East Chapelton Reformatory, East Chapelton Home, Hillfoot Residential School.

Cost from office job book: 505 14s 1d

Status: Demolished

RCAHMS Site Number: NS57SE 58

Grid Reference: NS 5516 7180

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.917416, lng = -4.319154 (Map)

Notes:

1: 'Glasgow Reformatory for Girls', www.theglasgowstory.com [accessed 25 October 2012]; David Stark, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Co., Catrine, Ayrshire: Stenlake Publishing, 2004, p. 96.