Additions to Saracen Tool Works

M130 Additions to Saracen Tool Works

Address: East Campbell Street, Glasgow G1 5DT
Date: 1896–8; 1902–3
Client: Alexander Mathieson & Sons
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Colour photograph of W. front of Saracen Tool Works Founding Shop

The Saracen Tool Works was an industrial complex spread across several streets near Glasgow Cross where Alex. Mathieson & Sons manufactured woodworking and engineering tools. It grew piecemeal during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1896, John Honeyman & Keppie designed a four-storey addition at the corner of Great Dovehill and Bell Street (formerly known as Graeme Street). In 1902, Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh designed a wood-drying shed in Macfarlane Street and a founding shop in Saracen Lane.

Authorship: One of the drawings approved by the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court showing ironwork for the Saracen Lane founding shop was signed by Mackintosh on behalf of the practice, but there is no evidence that he was involved in its design.

Alternative names: Alexander Mathieson & Sons.

Alternative addresses:
272–274 Bell Street
13–27 East Campbell Street
Gallowgate
Great Dovehill
Graeme Street
Macfarlane Street
Saracen Head Lane

Cost from office job book: Bell Street / Great Dovehill building: 1921 14s 3d; Saracen Lane founding shop: 964 1s 6d

Status: Largely demolished

Current use: Warehouse/workshop (2014)

RCAHMS Site Number: NS66SW 633

Grid Reference: NS 6003 6481

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.856102, lng = -4.237682 (Map)