Additions to Hall-Brown, Buttery & Co.'s works

M145 Additions to Hall-Brown, Buttery & Co.'s works

Address: Helen Street, Glasgow
Date: 1897–1899
Client: Hall-Brown, Buttery & Co.
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

Hall-Brown, Buttery & Co.Hall-Brown, Buttery & Co. are first listed in the Glasgow Post Office Directory for 1893–4 as 'electrical engineers, marine enginers, general engineers [and] shipbuilders' in Helen Street, Govan. In 1897 John Honeyman & Keppie designed substantial additions to the Helen Street works, doubling in size both the Engine Shop and the attached offices. 1 The severely utilitarian extensions were no more than matching continuations of the pre-existing buildings. The drawings approved by the Govan Dean of Guild Court show that the three-storey office addition contained a ground-floor Counting House with Board Room and Drawing Offices above, linked to the old offices by an arched entrance to the yard. The Engine Shop had iron roof trusses on steel stanchions. Map evidence shows that the buildings were further enlarged in the early 20th century, before eventual demolition, probably in the late 20th century.

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: St Helen's Engine Works.

Alternative addresses:
Harmony Row

Cost from office job book: 3925 5s 4d

Status: Demolished

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56SE 141

Grid Reference: NS 5516 6497

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.856100, lng = -4.315498 (Map)

Notes:

1: Glasgow City Archives Collection: Govan Dean of Guild Court plans, H-GOV/37/429.