Treeshill, Bridge of Weir

M273 Treeshill, Bridge of Weir

Address: 6, Golf Course Road, Bridge of Weir PA11 3HN
Date: 1906–7
Client: David S. Morton
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

This large detached house is one of a cluster built in the early 1900s, alongside Ranfurly Castle Golf Course. Some have been attributed to John A. Campbell, and there are echoes of C. F. A. Voysey. 1

Exterior

Before the later addition of a porch and canted bay to the S. elevation, Treeshill had a simple rectangular plan. Its roughcast finish and prominent gables with deep eaves between are strongly reminiscent of Voysey's 'The Orchard' at Chorleywood, Hertfordshire, begun in 1899. Rather than timber sashes, there are multi-paned metal casements supplied by George Wragg[e] Ltd. The number and irregular distribution of small windows at the E. end indicates this was originally the service area.

Original interior

The drawings show a large central hall entered via an internal vestibule with a deep alcove adjacent, an arrangement reminiscent of earlier houses by the practice such as Redlands at Bridge of Weir, Ferndean at Barrhead and Dunottar at Kilmacolm. In comparison with these, however, the family accommodation at Treeshill was more clearly demarcated from the service area, which had its own separate staircase. The principal staircase led to a sky-lit first-floor corridor, with four large bedrooms and a dressing room opening off it. As on the ground floor, the E. end was given over to service accommodation, including a bathroom, W.C., 'napery' and two servants' bedrooms.

Alterations

By 1913 the house was owned by a Robert Fullarton. John A. Campbell of Campbell & Hislop made significant interior alterations for him, which included removing the internal division between family and servants. A porch at the front door and a detached garage to the E. of the house were also added, and the gardens were landscaped. 2 At a later date the room to the left (W.) of the porch was extended and a canted bay added.

Notes:

1: Frank Arneil Walker, The South Clyde Estuary. An Illustrated Guide to Inverclyde and Renfrew, Edinburgh: Scottish Academic Press, 1986, p. 85; see Historic Scotland listing descriptions for 'Golf Course Road, Bridge of Weir'.

2: University of Glasgow Library, Special Collections: MS Hislop S.35; S.123.