Alterations to Queen's Rooms

M177 Alterations to Queen's Rooms

Address: La Belle Place, Glasgow G3 7LH
Date: 1899–1900
Client: Unknown
Authorship: Authorship category 4 (Office) (Office)

John Honeyman & Keppie made minor alterations to doors at this Renaissance-style public hall, designed in the 1850s by Charles Wilson, with sculpture by John Mossman. 1

Authorship: This is one of over 270 jobs carried out in the office of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901) during Mackintosh's time there. Mackintosh undoubtedly worked on many of these, but there is no specific evidence for his involvement in this case.

Alternative names: Christian Science Church, Hindu Mandir.

Cost from office job book: 46 5s 0d

Status: Standing building; alterations

Current name: Hindu Mandir

Current use: Place of worship (2014)

Listing category: A: Listed as '1 La Belle Place and 7, 11 Clifton Street and La Belle Allee, Hindu Mandir, former Queens's Rooms'

Historic Scotland/HB Number: 33082

RCAHMS Site Number: NS56NE 1513

Grid Reference: NS 57467 66060

GPS coordinates: lat = 55.866574, lng = -4.279248 (Map)

Notes:

1: Elizabeth Williamson, Anne Riches and Malcolm Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, London: Penguin, 1990, p. 284.